Over Shabbat I read Agnon's 'The Lady and the Peddler' and Singer's 'Black Wedding'. Interestingly, each story reminded me of certain things that I tend to associate with the other author's writing: 'Lady and Peddler' involves a seduction by a supernatural being (although in this case it's a distinctly non-Jewish vampire, not one of Singer's dybbuks), and 'Black Wedding' seemed to critique the religious community (or at least its fanatical aspects) in ways that I typically expect from the author of 'The Tale of the Scribe'. (Although here the problem isn't the groom's reticence about sex, but quite the opposite.)
--
Got a couple of pings on my Match profile, but they both look like Turing test fails: sparse profile with no original text, generic photos on nondescript background (or the interior of an unfurnished apartment). I started both conversations with "Tell me something about yourself," which is a great way to start a conversation with a human being but a terrible way to start a conversation with a robot, which of course is exactly the point. People love to talk about themselves, and every real live human being is a unique person with a unique personality and set of experiences, and a unique story to tell. I'm not interested in interacting with some cybernetic phantasm that will try to hypnotize me by telling me what it thinks I want to hear. And that's why my singles profile has the disclaimer: "If you sound like a chatbot, I will assume you are a fake profile." If you are a real person, it's your job to prove it to me; and if you can't, then either you're a robot, or you're so shallow and boring that you might as well be a robot.
(I was tempted to follow up with, "Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your mother," but nah.)
--
If I ever do end up landing a movie date with an interested and appealing partner, it'll have to be something worth seeing. I am not interested in sitting through another two hours of unremitting misery. (At least Singer could have told the story with some style. "It is I, the Evil One. Let me tell you the tale of how I brought young Dov Bear Bailey to ruin by means of a cursed amulet ...".)
But for now, it's time to finish up the housework, get a haircut, and get ready for Yom Kippur. [413]
--
Got a couple of pings on my Match profile, but they both look like Turing test fails: sparse profile with no original text, generic photos on nondescript background (or the interior of an unfurnished apartment). I started both conversations with "Tell me something about yourself," which is a great way to start a conversation with a human being but a terrible way to start a conversation with a robot, which of course is exactly the point. People love to talk about themselves, and every real live human being is a unique person with a unique personality and set of experiences, and a unique story to tell. I'm not interested in interacting with some cybernetic phantasm that will try to hypnotize me by telling me what it thinks I want to hear. And that's why my singles profile has the disclaimer: "If you sound like a chatbot, I will assume you are a fake profile." If you are a real person, it's your job to prove it to me; and if you can't, then either you're a robot, or you're so shallow and boring that you might as well be a robot.
(I was tempted to follow up with, "Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about your mother," but nah.)
--
If I ever do end up landing a movie date with an interested and appealing partner, it'll have to be something worth seeing. I am not interested in sitting through another two hours of unremitting misery. (At least Singer could have told the story with some style. "It is I, the Evil One. Let me tell you the tale of how I brought young Dov Bear Bailey to ruin by means of a cursed amulet ...".)
But for now, it's time to finish up the housework, get a haircut, and get ready for Yom Kippur. [413]